Doing my best to turn things around

On September 3 I was at work, in my head bad. As a painter your working alone 90% of the time. At lunch break I had consumed some shots, by 1pm, I told boss I was done for the day and went home. Then I quit my job as soon as I got home. No plan, not thinking clearly, d*unk and made an emotional decision. Having any for the next few days after left a bad taste in my mouth, and my brain wouldn’t stop working overtime stressing about money. I couldn’t relax. I couldn’t afford anything if I kept consuming this poison. Had to admit to myself just how bad of an alcoholic I was. Labor day was the last time I had a drink. I’ve been job hunting all the way till this week. I was finally able to find a job. After a few interviews, im officially employed. It’s only been 20 days, my mind has cleared, less negativity, and realizing a lot about who I am when I was consuming, and how much more present I am with out the poison.

16 Likes

You’re doing the right thing now. I had a similar experience with the quitting a job actually. I wasn’t drunk when I did it, but I was in the beginning of the worst of my active alcoholism. Same thing though with an emotional, not rational in the moment decision and not thinking clearly. Keep it up day by day and do what helps you stay sober. It’s a better life without being bound by the bottle. Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s always interesting seeing something to relate to

4 Likes

Welcome Vision86.
Congratulations on your 20 days. I’m happy I never have to go through that again.

Hey, you’ve found a great sober community here with us. This is where I got sober. So many thoughtful caring people here to get and give support. It’s what keeps us sober.

Have a good read around. Check in often and join in when you’re comfortable.

ODAAT

3 Likes

Welcome! Glad you’re here, and most importantly glad you’re staying sober! Definitely had my share of days having drinks at late lunch and heading home for the day, I was smart enough to know not to go back to work! Glad you also found another gig relatively quickly as job hunting is not always easy these days. Lots of great folks to learn from here and connect with to help you build your plan to stay sober :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome to TS. Great to read you’re turning things around and moving forward, be kind to yourself and take take one day at a time. Congrats on finding a new job and an even bigger congrats on 20 days :ok_hand:

1 Like

I appreciate it, thank you for the encouragement. Keep going strong on your journey

Thank you!

1 Like

I appreciate it, thank you so much