NonAlcoholic Drinks

So I had a non alcoholic beer yesterday. Meh it was ok and I didn’t really miss it, but I did not think it was a replacement for an actual beer. It was glaringly obvious that there was no alcohol in it. What does everyone think about mock tails and alcohol free beer etc?

4 Likes

I enjoy them…I think of them as something special…like right now I’m out to dinner with my husband; he’s having a real beverage and me…well a seltzer with extra lime in a tall glass. :smiley:

It’s nice and when I’m home I have Kombucha in a wine glass.

To each their own though :blush:

3 Likes

Honestly, whats the point? I’m an alcoholic, I drink to get drunk, no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, it’s what alcoholics do. N/A beer is just spinning my wheels, tempting me to have the real thing.

The way I see it, if I’m going to consume empty calories, make it something I enjoy.

9 Likes

Nice! I do kombucha in a wine glass too!

2 Likes

Scroll down in this link and there are some threads addressing your question. Hope they shed some light for you.

1 Like

There are many different opinions on this matter. Mine is that although there’s no alcohol in it, there is a potential danger. For me, it would be similar to watching a video of a game. It’s not a relapse gaming-wise, but it can cause a lot of cravings for the real deal. I see it as an easily avoidable risk.
There are however people for whom, according to them, it actually helps to drink N/A beer, because it avoids cravings somehow.

Try a few different brands there’s some tasty alcohol free beers. Some of them are rubbish but some are really nice.

I don’t bother with the fake spirits stuff tho it’s just a rip off for flavoured water.

There are some really great flavoured tonic waters coming out, and I like to mix fruit juice with soda water.

Oh also virgin Mary’s are good!!! I love pepping them up work loads of hot sauce!!!

2 Likes

When I launched my last company I threw a party in a local bar. It was a cocktails and mocktails theme. I stuck to mocktails as I had to be on my best behaviour as the people there included a Government minister and a PR agency who interviewed me on camera for a press release. The bar came up trumps and the mocktails were fabulous. A lot of people were driving and the mocktails were very popular.

I personally stay away from them. When I was actively drinking, I never once had an alcoholic drink to enjoy the taste. Add that to the fact that some of the non-alcoholic beers still have some alcohol and it’s just not for me.

I don’t even like cooking with alcohol, but that’s just me being a little over the top since I know it all cooks out.

There are a ton of threads already made on this topic, if you just do a quick search or use the link that @SassyRocks provided, you can get a lot more answers without having to wait :+1:

2 Likes

Na beer tastes like nanny goats piss soft drinks are better , through my experience in recover ive seen people who have drunk na go back real acholic drinks,

3 Likes

For me, even thought there isn’t any alcohol and there are some that taste pretty good, it is ultimately triggering for my mind and behavior. I find that if I drink one, ill drink it so quickly I won’t enjoy it. Before I know it I’ve had the whole six pack in one sitting trying to find some sort of buzz that won’t come. Then as my mind tries to chase a buzz, it’ll start rationalizing some behavior as a means of chasing the thrilling feeling of being drunk. Before I know it I’m texting people I shouldn’t or seriously thinking about having “just one or two drinks”.
Plus it truly is empty calories and carbs. Since I’ve been sober I’ve discovered sparking water (I know I’m super behind in this) and I am much healthier!

2 Likes

I will have to drink nanny goat’s piss to find out.

2 Likes

I steer clear of them. I tried one in a bar once and it bored the living shit out of me. My mood sank, I then turned to the real deal to give me a lift. I had one, then two, then three, and continued to drink for a further 4 weeks. Ended up in the Police cells for the night too lol. So I obviously I say nay.

3 Likes

Depends what kind of mocktail it is. Generally, I go for flavors that I love with or without alcohol. Orange and pineapple juice over crushed ice, for example. A pineapple, coconut, vanilla ice cream smoothie is another favorite. Or a really tart lemonade with a splash of strawberry syrup. Damn it. Now I need to go buy juices! I don’t see them as a boring substitute because I just really enjoy the flavors.

1 Like

Never tried them and never plan on trying them. The thought of them just makes me want to drink actual alcohol. I would drink for the numbness not the taste lol.

1 Like

I personally dont mind them I dont buy them often anymore because we really dont need them. To some it could cause triggers to others its meh. Personally I dont see the harm but I also know that it bothers some people to use them because they can cause relapses

2 Likes

I enjoy a N/A beer every now and again. Im one who loves the taste of beer. But i do find myself drinking them in 2 or 3 drinks like i did with actual beer. That kind of scares me so I’ll just have 1 or 2 NA beverages