2022 Roll Call -- Introduce yourself!

I’m Becca, my clean date off heroin,meth,opiates is 10/12/2021 I have 3 months today. I live in a halfway house in Nashville TN, I’m from Knoxville. I went to jail and they sent me to rehab at buffalo valley in hoenwald, TN. Then I decided to come to a halfway house to continue my recovery. I have a sponsor and am working the 12steps, I also attend meetings daily and I have a full time job. I love my life now and I have real relationships with friends and family. I am doing what I’m supposed to do with my legal situation and I just take it one day at a time. I’ve been a addict for 16years and this is my first time ever getting sober. I’m greatful for my recovery and my life.

25 Likes

I everyone I’m Simon! New here! I’m 60+days clean from cocaine and alcohol! Definitely a change on my moods and anxiety and even the foods I eat! I have sudden racing thoughts etc! I choose to get clean after have a issue in my nose it scared me! And I’ve done this for me and nobody else, not even family knows I’m recovering and or did it! It’s hard I’m open to ideas suggestions?

20 Likes

Yoooo, welcome! Well done on two months. That’s a big dang deal.

What’s helped you the most so far?

3 Likes

My dogs! Music, and a lot of good lol mostly scared and I discovered why I did drugs and drank for! I was hiding the fact I was afraid of who I was and didn’t like me so I try to change me by drugs and alcohol bc people liked me better!

6 Likes

I’m Finn, I’ve been clean for almost 6 months now.
I was a heavy drug user for a few years, started with coke when I was 16, then started using meth, and finally heroin. This is my first time trying to get clean, I’m 20, and every day seems harder than the last. The man that I love is also in recovery with me and he’s been my rock through this, trying to find my own motivation though, not letting his recovery be mine and mine be his.
Hoping that things will get easier, one day at a time
:—)

22 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Ashley! Yes, it’s hard in the beginning but it is doable. Just as long as you know you can’t do it alone (which you do I see). We need to get rid of the idea that using would help with any of the struggles of life. Because it doesn’t. It just puts us deeper in the hole. I’m glad you found us as this is a great place for support in our journey towards a better happier healthier life. There’s a huge amount of support and knowledge to be found here. So welcome again and wishing you all success! I’ll add a link to some useful -I hope- stuff for you.

5 Likes

Good to have you aboard Finn! Huge congrats on your time sober and clean, that’s huge! I hope this place can be as helpful to you as it has been to me over the last 2.5 years. There’s so much support here. Support to receive and support to give. You’re not alone. For me that knowledge has been the difference between failure and success. While realizing it is me that has to do the work yes, still knowing we’re in this together has been a game changer and a life saver. Wishing you all continued success friend. Welcome again. Hugs.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the welcome and well wishes and congratulations on your 2 1/2 years :—)

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I’m 45 and from Australia, and I’m an alcoholic. Gosh…it’s taken me years to say those words. I have been drinking since I was about 18, just on weekends really, and nothing too major. I then went to work in hospitality and my drinking definitely increased dramatically as all the staff would party on after shift until sun up, then we’d do it all again the next day. I wouldn’t drink every day, but when I did, I’d binge, and never know when to stop.
I felt like I’d taken on the roll of the party girl, like there was an expectation of me to drunk and fun etc, but I realise now that it was all in my head, and constantly that party girl was blacking out and doing stupid things and feeling remorseful and ashamed the next day, and for ages after the event.
The time came where I had a bit of a breakdown and was severely depressed, my mum had to take my kids for a while as all I could do was sleep and drink. The second my eyes were open, I was drinking until I wiped myself out. That was about 3 years ago now, and I’ve been in and out of rehab since. I managed 7 months sober during that 3 years, but started drinking heavily after my daughter nearly drowned in a rip while we were on holidays. My drinking was ruining my relationship with my kids as they would find me on the floor so often, and seen me taken away by police or ambulance uncountable times after trying to ‘end the pain’, which I’m very lucky to be alive after surviving two very close near death experiences.
I have now been sober for 46 days, and I wish I could say I’m feeling great, but I’m not. I don’t feel like a drink, I can easily drive past the drive through, but I miss the feeling of not feeling the pain inside. My boyfriend is an alcoholic also, and I’m finding it very difficult as he’s drinking and I don’t want to be around drunk people at the moment, so we hardly see each other at the moment :cry: My boyfriend was my boozing partner and now it feels so different around him, like we don’t have anything to talk about any more. Probably because we used to sit around all day drinking and watching crap tv until we passed out. :cry:
I’m also currently not working, having lost my job after a doctor reported me after a failed suicide attempt 18 months ago. I’ve been cleared to get my job back, but it’s a process and I have one more document to sign which I’ve been waiting on for 6 weeks now. No wonder I’m feeling down! I feel like an empty shell and I’m struggling to get out of bed each day as I feel like I have no purpose. And financially I’m really struggling. Single mum with a mortgage etc.
But I’m sober, and I’m grateful for this group. A lot of your stories have resonated with me and it’s nice to know I’m not alone. So thank you :blush:

25 Likes

This is my a second go round. My name is suzy. Just turned 31. Married with no kids but we hsve two dogs. Not even sure I have a problem…but then again ha
Was sober for a year then thought I could monitor it but just keep losing control. So here I am.
I started therapy today and want to be sober. I have a hard time saying no and also a hard time cutting myself off because I always get to the point I’m just thirsty. So, hello everyone! Here’s to 2022!

16 Likes

Welcome Ashley! Your in the right place!

1 Like

Hey! My name is Lindsey. I’m 63 days sober. Mom of 2 (9 year old and 8 months old). I’ve been struggling with addiction since I was 12. Starting with cigarettes and weed. At 21 it transitioned to alcohol after the death of my first child.
I have always been the “responsible” one. After I was abandoned by my parents at 16, I still finished high school with honors and eventually got my bachelor’s degree. Drugs and alcohol were tools for me to be able to numb the memory of abuse I experienced in childhood and turn-off my mind from adult responsibilities. I could put the kids to bed and then “check out” with a bottle of wine… until I couldn’t. Until I was drinking earlier and earlier every day.

I’ve been slowly sliding into deep addiction the past 12 years. Only realizing it the past 5 years. Only working on sobriety the past 3 years. Only sober 63 days. But I’m doing it. I’m not giving up.

22 Likes

Welcome and congrats on your 63 days Lindsey. This is a great community for support. I hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

1 Like

Hello! I am Flannery, I am one month shy of having 2 years sober. I am 27 I started drinking/using at 14. My drugs of choice were heroin and meth IV. I went to treatment over 15 times, overdosed 4 times and almost died, did AA/NA, moved from city to city, went on maintenance, got put on 2 chemical dependency commitments by the state I live in because I was hospitalized so many times for my drug use. I was homeless, and I didn’t find my way until I surrendered to my Higher Power and asked for help to go back to treatment one final time where I really found my faith again. I go to meetings and pray everyday, and read the Bible. Sobriety is the best thing that ever happened to me.

24 Likes

Beautiful story of recovery… alot of pain I hear in ur story but then there’s such joy and gratefulness at the end! I’m so grateful ur here Flannery! :heartbeat:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Miriam and I’m 4 days sober. I was in denial for a Very long time. I have come out of a major depression and am back at work after 14 months off.

I’m working on being honest with myself and have realized that if I have one beer it soon becomes six.

I have told
My husband that I am quitting drinking and am trying to stay away from his man cave because that’s where we’d hang out and have a few.

I also now have a weight loss battle to deal with as I gained 60 pounds while I was off and I know that it’s my beer belly. I know not drinking that many calories alone has to help!

Hanging in, hanging on, and hanging out,

Miriam

17 Likes

Welcome Miriam.
Congratulations on your 4 days. This is a great community for support. I decided fat drunk and hungover was no way to enter my Bronze Age. I found this app. Joined the Noom app and I’ve be sober ever since and lost 40 pounds. Being sober certainly help me with my weight loss. We also have a thread here if you want to check it out. Weightloss CHECK IN : dont give up
Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’m there now! 50 and fighting! :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you Dana :grinning: yeah there was a lot of bad but it turned into good. God can always turn bad around for good. Thanks for the nice words.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Bart, 41, originally from the netherlands, now living in the south of portugal. I’m busy quitting alcohol, almost at 6 months now. I had an 8 month stretch before although i can’t really call it that because i cheated twice in that period. The difference is back than i saw it is a ‘break’ of the drinking habit, without the intention of actually quitting. Now i really want to quit, feel the need to change, am prepared to put in difficult work.
During the week i spend full days on the field, producing veggies for the local market. It’s the first time in my life i am actually able to and even happy to have a full time job. Before, work i saw as something standing in the way of getting drunk, living out my rock n roll lifestyle, playing in bands, touring, gigs etc.
Now, i just want to live a calm and healthy life, enjoy nature. I want to have my own little homestead farm some day. But first things first, i have a lot to work on still.

13 Likes