First time getting sober

Hey there. Kayla from Ontario, Canada here. My story is wayyyy too long just saying I’m here because alcohol was my choice and my biggest struggle. If anyone can just give some advice or words of wisdom, any motivation would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from some others and opening up more. Thank you.

20 Likes

Welcome Kayla!! Lots of advice rolling around here for sure. :slightly_smiling_face: Take a look here maybe…

5 Likes

Welcome Kayla!
I had to make the decision to go to any lengths to get and stay sober. I surrendered. I knew I couldn’t do this alone and asked for help. I know now that if I’m not working on my recovery, then I’m working on a relapse. Every single day, I have to do something to support my recovery. Whether it’s coming here to support others or going to a meeting (some days both are needed).

6 Likes

Welcome Kayla! I’m from Ontario too. Nice to meet you :wave: :innocent:

You are definitely not alone. This community has hundreds and hundreds of members, all working to get sober. It’s nice to not be alone :innocent:

Have a read around here and I’m sure you’ll find lots of helpful material.

Do you have any specific goals? Are you trying to get clean because you want to get your life on track? Is there anything else?

For me my goals are to be more present, so that I can live my life, present and conscious and participating, with my family and with myself, and also at work. If I’m in my addiction I can’t do that; I’m always looking for my next escape. In sobriety, in recovery, I can do that.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community! Glad you’re here!

4 Likes

Hey Kayla welcome to the community. My advice would be to interact with and follow suggestions from the people on here who have some time sober. You’ve already heard back from a few of them. There’s a lot more all struggling with the same thing… See you around. :v:

4 Likes

Hi Kayla! Its a real struggle to stay clean. Pills were my drug of choice. So glad that you are here and are on this recovery journey.

3 Likes

Welcome to you too. @Brebre83 .:v:

3 Likes

Thank you! Ive been using this app and just realized that i can chat with people. I love it. Im so glad to have a community of people that i can reach out to.

5 Likes

This is only my 3rd day but I am pretty confident I can do this with the right support and head space. In the last 3 days life has tested me even more, I swear its trying to throw all the things that would wanna trigger me to drink but I’m fighting it. Thank you for replying.

3 Likes

Yeah you and me both. Found this place by accident. The people are great.

3 Likes

That’s a solid attitude. Day 3 is great work!! :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Kayla

Great job on your 3 days of sobriety. Do check out the links that @SassyRocks provided. Also - are you planning to go to any meetings (in person or ones online)? The meetings can be very helpful and also a great means in finding a sponsor that you can talk to in real life.
Being a part of this community has been a life savor for me. I can’t get enough time here. I feel that whenever I am at a low point - i just log on read through the many threads. It helps more than I can explain to ready the posts and also be of help to others that are struggling.
I would also suggest that at the beginning you may think about changing up your daily routine (especially since the weekend is coming up and this is where most are super vulnerable). Plan activities or events that you can do sober and keep you occupied - pick up hobbies or start new ones.

Feel free to ask questions. I find the Checking in daily to maintain focus #55 really helps keep me accountable.
Best of luck on your journey! Hope to see you around.

1 Like

Thank you means alot.

2 Likes

Sure seems that way. Glad I found a community that can help me along the way because there is next to no support out here for me sadly :disappointed:

1 Like

I wrote a list of the things I hated about being on drink.

The sickness, the mood swings, the weight gain, the shameful things I’d done etc.

Write them down as a list of short bullet points on a note on your phone.

Read it from time to time so it becomes something you know and remember when your brain is tricking you that booze is fun.

I know why I hate drink. Make that your thing too

4 Likes

Hey, @KaylaMay5 & @Brebre83 ! Welcome! :people_hugging: You can do this! Here are a couple amazing resources:

Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol https://a.co/d/dIa6Vd9
So glad you’re here! :raised_hands:t2:👩🏻‍🤝‍👩🏼:heart: We are right here with you!

1 Like

Are there any meetings out where your at, or is that something you don’t want to do?

1 Like

I believe there are some out of my area but I unfortunately don’t have a vehicle and I work continental shifts so it’s hard, plus being a mom it’s tough. I also am not a group type person. Don’t think that is the route for me atleast not right now, thank you for suggesting it though.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Most important thing is to stay connected. :+1:

1 Like