Longtimers, share your experience

Hi All, first time posting here and really pleased to have stumbled upon this site. I’m coming up on my 14th anniversary and have been pretty regularly attending meetings, doing service work, daily prayer and meditation etc. during this time and life has been pretty good. However, the switch to mostly online meetings since March 2020 and all the associated stresses has left me feeling pretty lonely at times - just before the pandemic I also moved from a busy US city with lots of meetings to a smaller town with hardly any. I don’t feel in any danger of relapsing but would love to hear from any long-timers about how they dealt with similar changes and managed to switch their program into a different gear? Many thanks!

10 Likes

Hi falco, welcome. There are oodles of people here at many different places in recovery, so you’re sure to find something.

Probably a good place to start browsing through peoples reflections on their recovery is at the check-in thread, here:

That’ll give you a good cross-section of people. We’re all moving forward in our own way at our own pace :innocent:

Welcome! :wave:

3 Likes

Welcome and congratulations on your 14 years!! That is some serious recovery!!

Just an FYI, this is not an AA specific forum, it IS a sobriety/abstinence forum. There are many AA members here however!! :slightly_smiling_face: There are also many of us who do not follow any specific program.

So, welcome and I am sure some AA regulars will share their wisdom with you!

6 Likes

the reddit sub alcoholics anonymous has lots of aa old timers, you might want to check that sub out. but we do have one here named ray. congrats on 14 years that’s bad ass :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies and apologies as I shouldn’t have presumed it was all AA! Appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! It’s great to have you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome falco :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Hey Falco. I’ve found an AA meeting on Zoom in another state, but lately not checking in there as much either. Also, I’ve taken a break from Zoom meetings with religious community. Like you, I’m not concerned about my long term sobriety. I’ve always been more of an extrovert and miss seeing people. I do think it’s time for me to just head out and find a meeting. I was disillusioned by my women’s home group during the quarantine last year. They were blatant about not distancing and masking up. When they were able to meet ftf, the hybrid meetings were not managed well. So, I get what you’re saying. Sorry, I’m not more positive this morning.