My first post, day three

I’m working on day three. For almost twenty years I’ve been trying to stop drinking. The longest I’ve gone without a drink is five weeks. I’m not a heavy drinker, but I drink every evening and I can’t take it anymore. My biggest worry is dealing with social situations. The good thing is I’ve learned a lot from my numerous attempts.

17 Likes

Hi Denver, welcome :blush: You have found an amazing place. I was similar to you, not the biggest drinker (although massively exceeded recommended units), but had to drink every evening and thought about it all the time. I am on Day 32 now and it has made a massive difference ready.

6 Likes

Sounds very similar to me. I guess that’s why I don’t really have the withdrawals or cravings. I don’t really have any social situations to worry about now, but when I had quit one time before I did let people know before any plans were made. I won’t say they were all supportive but I learned who I could and couldn’t be around. Someone drinking in my presence didn’t bother me but it was those trying to coerce me that I had to weed out.

4 Likes

Thank you Jmillwill. Good advice.

Welcome to the forum.

You know, the way I see it is that something doesn’t have to be “out of control” to have a negative impact on your life or to be an addiction. It’s great that you’re working on something that isn’t a positive force in your life. Three days is really good. Please feel free to come back to the forum as much as you need to use it as one of your sobriety tools.

Here is a thread that you can do a daily check in, or more than daily if you need:

2 Likes

This is so awesome. I would just try to keep things very basic right now. What worked for me in the beginning and still works now is being surrounded by people in recovery who understand and I can recover .There is so many programs and groups and things to be a part of. Not sure if you’ve tried anything but I do a little bit of everything, AA, refuge recovery, I also really really like this website and it really comes in handy for everything related to recovery. And it doesn’t matter the level of your drinking all that matters is that you’re tired of it. What also helps for me is making schedules , setting routines. Exploring new hobbies , staying busy … you got this :grinning: As far as the social situation or any worries that stuff ends up working itself out with making small changes and keeping things simple in the beginning

2 Likes

Welcome! Social situations were my downfall too but with practice it gets much easier. I got most of my practice going to AA meetings by sharing and chatting with them after meetings. It was really hard in the beginning but those people made it much easier because they’ve been in our shoes.

1 Like

I’ve been trying 10 years. I feel I have learned a lot from my last attempts too, but this place has made all the difference. So glad you’re here!

1 Like

Welcome! I was like you! Drank every night. Sometimes got really drunk sometimes just a little. Non the less always felt like shit and depressed. I consider myself a functioning alcoholic. You got this!! We’re all here for you.

2 Likes

I was a completely functioning alcoholic too. Sometimes I wonder how I got through everyday doing all that I do. It’s insane really to think I’m teaching 13 fitness classes a week and doing personal training, and poisoning myself with alcohol almost every night. I feel ashamed and embarrassed to say sometimes drinking so much, passing out and not even remembering if I ate dinner or not… Sometimes waking up at 3am running to the bathroom and not making there in time to get sick all over the hallway. Still got up and saw my 7am client!!! Nobody who knows me would ever think I’m an alcoholic. I can’t have just one. Ever
Glad you’re here.

5 Likes

Miranda the same here for me. Preaching healthy living by day in front of clients all while totally ignoring my own advice. I have no idea how I made it through a gym day sometimes. I’m wasn’t a daily drinker but when I would get started one was never enough. Excess once the train left the station! I’m so happy to have found this community.

3 Likes

Welcome back! What do you plan to do differently this time? Take it one hour at a time. You can do it! Set a small goal for like one week, challenge yourself.

2 Likes

This sounds like a similar situation to my own. I’d drink 3-4 times a week, twice during the week and I couldn’t keep doing it. I need to be there for my family at night when my toddler wakes up and need to not be hungover for work. I’m working on day 4 today and I’m also worried about social situations. This weekend is going to be a big test as I always drank Friday and Saturday and my cravings have gone down a bit. You can do this!

3 Likes

Thanks, Daphnecat. The main thing I’m doing differently is this website/app. I’ve already found it very helpful. Thank you for the encouragement. We can both do this!

We are twins! I just made day 3 and so proud! Welcome!

1 Like

Thank you Bluekoolaid! That’s very helpful. I feel so grateful for people like you taking the time help me. “the social situation or any worries that stuff ends up working itself out with making small changes” It’s calming for me to think that way.

1 Like

Thank you Erdrick, It feels good to know I’m not alone in this. I’m beginning to see how this works , we do it together …

Thank you Lisa07. Maybe I’ll try an AA meeting. I haven’t been able to make that happen for myself yet. I’ve read the 12 steps and researched it online but have never made it to a meeting. I’ll reconsider it.

1 Like

We are helping each other … thank you. Everything started clicking for me when I realized that I was the one that was complicating everything. Life is actually pretty simple and it doesn’t have to be hard. I make it hard on myself if I take the easy way out, or if I get away from my discipline or schedules. Everybody’s path to recovery and recovery program is different. Best of luck :grinning:

1 Like

I love this. Thank you for sharing it with me. Very helpful.

1 Like