Why must we do the 12 steps again and again?

It’s an interesting take
Most people do the 12 steps first time round jn early sobriety, and it’s a tall task. But like most things it gets easier

The idea of repeating is applying the concepts in your everyday life, the more you apply, the better you get at it

It’s kinda like a sports team they’ll run the same play over and over again in practice till it’s perfect

Practice like you play, and you see results, practice not until you get it right, but until you can’t get it wrong

4 Likes

ChrisR I guess that depends on how spiritual you are and how well you can keep your character defects in check,some people are sicker than others and that topic is a prime example of what they mean by that. It’s not that I have done crazier shit only by when they say that it’s also on how much of an application of spirituality do I need to not act out in my old ways

1 Like

Im sorry but im new to all this whats “AA” and these “12 steps” can someone please help me im just trying to not drink anymore and all im reading is peoples problems on here and low key advice im not looking for.

1 Like

I guess 12 steps as a whole it’s an attitude before life and things. Each new situation and problem needs a step, again!

1 Like

AA is a program called Alcoholics Annonymous and within their program are the 12 steps. New members of AA work through these steps with a ‘sponsor’ who is also a member of AA.
https://aa.org.au/new-to-aa/what-is-aa/

Really? Maybe read through some more threads… there is plenty of support and advide to be found. Bear in mind though, that becoming sober doesn’t mean we don’t have problems in life anymore. But it does mean we need to learn how to deal with them sober rather than numbing them ‘away’ and yes absolutely, we are here for eachother on this forum to help where we can.

5 Likes

This thread in particular may be helpful to you

2 Likes

Hey Joey there are different categories to choose from. And sometimes someone who is going through a problem just like you can help you find a solution if they got through it a specific way that might work for you. But I understand you fully in also wanting the tools the program has to offer.

Hi Roy, you’ve replied to the wrong person lol. I was putting a similar reply together on a post he just deleted. I found him on another thread and let him know there. Hope he sticks around and finds the support he is looking for :pray:

1 Like

Woops lol🙆‍♂️

1 Like

I have been following this thread. Although i am not officially in the 12 steps, I still have an opinion to repeating things.
I just read something about Yoga Sutras by Patanjali and they say that with every reading you will discover new things, other aspects as you are not the same person that you where yesterday.
I think that is true for me, I often find myself in situations i know well and with each and every cycle i learn more about myself, i can grow and make it better (or the next time). The only thing i dont want to repeat is step 1, unless i relapse which i try to prevent by working on myself in order to hit the pillow sober every night to come.

3 Likes

Have you gone through cancer and chemo ?

My mother has,why do you ask?

There are no musts only suggestions.

3 Likes

I don’t do the steps but staying sober requires recommitment from time to time. We are constantly being bombarded with alcohol ads. Alcohol is offered almost every time you go out to eat. You can’t buy meth on sale at the grocery store but you can get some get deals on alcohol for your Memorial Day bbq. It’s in our faces all the time. I read sobriety books (Allen Carr and Annie Grace both have great books about sobriety that I’ve read multiple times) and I journal. I do yoga and meditate. These are the things that work for me but it’s never ending.

2 Likes

Suggestions in Recovery are the reality of what we must do,sorry that you don’t see it that way. If I look at it the way you are saying it, I would not do anything suggested,we as addicts and alcoholics think that way.

couldn’t agree more, glad to see sarcasm is not wasted on you.

Oh and don’t feel sorry for me I’m nearly 2 years sober from doing suggestions that I feel personally that I must do but read the 12 steps and nowhere does it use the word must.
if you told this alcoholic he must do something I would fight you all the way to my grave.

4 Likes

That’s cool we all struggle with the attitude of indifference and intolerance towards spiritual principles which are in the steps. It’s not a race, the void will eventually convince you otherwise. And there was never any sarcasm it’s your perception of how you take it. And you work the steps with action not by reading them,and that’s how the program works. HOW IT WORKS, if you don’t understand keep coming back and you will

@Dolse71 Paul, this is what you get for being a smart ass :rofl: And one of my favorite smart asses, might I add! Y’all arguing/explaining the same point. I had to laugh.

2 Likes

yep and as if by magic…

A FELLOWSHIP OF FREEDOM
June 18
. . . if only men were granted absolute liberty, and were compelled to obey no one, they would then voluntarily associate themselves in the common interest.

AS BILL SEES IT, p. 50

When I no longer live under the dictates of another or of alcohol, I live in a new freedom. When I release the past and all the excess baggage I have carried for so very long, I come to know freedom. I have been introduced into a life and a fellowship of freedom. The Steps are a “recommended” way of finding a new life, there are no commands or dictates in A.A. I am free to serve from desire rather than decree. There is the understanding that I will benefit from the growth of other members and I take what I learn and bring it back to the group. The “common welfare” finds room to grow in the society of personal freedom.

:rofl:

3 Likes

I Don’t… Next.

2 Likes