20 days sober and this is my first post

20 days sober and this is my first post. I quit drinking alcohol because I made a commitment to my son. I KNOW I need to do it for myself and I will never put him in a position of having to hold me accountable, but that is how my sober journey has begun. My kids’ Dad lives with the many negative effects alcoholism can have on the body. My kids know I like my wine. But they also know I am the responsible parent. They are scared of losing me, too, after seeing their Dad basically turn into a convalescent patient.
I lost my Father to drugs and alcohol at the age on 9. The cycle must end now.
My current husband is very supportive and thankfully could take or leave alcohol. I have been eating a lot. But also excising a lot. Glad to have found this community!

32 Likes

That’s awesome @CleanJean, welcome!!!:sunglasses::metal:t2:

1 Like

Welcome, Erica. :slightly_smiling_face: Congratulations on your 20 days and making the decision to live a better life for yourself and your children. I’m happy you’re here. :purple_heart:

There are lots of threads to read, lots of sharing, and some of the most kind and supportive people here in the community. Here are a couple links to get you started. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman: welcome its lovely your here with us.
Congratulations on 20 days.

3 Likes

Congratulations, new here too, 2 months sober

6 Likes

Welcome @CleanJean and welcome @Jaymish29! :wave: Lovely to meet you :innocent:

Carolyn made a great post above :arrow_up: with useful links to get you started.

You’re starting a great journey. It isn’t easy but it is 1000% worth it. Keep at it and keep it simple: the thing that matters, is staying sober, and learning. You do it one day at a time. Ask for help and reach out. Read up, listen, and learn. Don’t ever give up - you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

5 Likes

Welcome Erica :raising_hand_woman:
I hope to see you around here a lot because it really helps to be here much.
This app has helped me tremendously to become and staying sober. More then 3 years ago I came here and my life is so much better since.
My addiction is alcohol as well. One of the things that pushes me to my day one was my daughter saying to me: “mom, I liked you more sober”
I wish you a sober life as well! :facepunch:

2 Likes

I love seeing this post. It will be the toughest thing to do in your life. But it will also be the best reward you will give yourself and family.

1 Like

Welcome to the group Erica! Breaking the circle is the best thing you’ll ever do! Stay strong, whenever you feel weak, reach out in this forum. There’s always someone here to help! :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Welcome @CleanJean, very happy for you its a great feeling isnt it? 3 weeks tomorrow congratulations. You got this

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

Wow-very inspiring. Thank you! I wish I could have started this sooner but at least it has been a way to talk about addiction with my kids.

1 Like

Thank you. I will remember to do that.

I agree! Happy to have found this community.

I love how you said 1000% worth it! I will remember that!

1 Like

Congratulations! Aside from pregnancies, I don’t think I have ever gone that long. I hope to hit the 2 month mark as well!

1 Like

Congratulations on your 20 Days Erica! Starting your sobriety journey for your son is a great way to begin.
If you’re not drinking for him today. Well, I think that’s a beautiful thing.
ODAAT
Who knows why you won’t drink tomorrow?
I’m happy you found us and your boy is totally worth having a sober mom. And you’re worth it too.
:pray:t2::heart::hugs:

1 Like

I made it to 45 days! Evenings have been hard every night. I have been stressing out hard in the evenings but have stayed strong. I have been working out and eating healthy and trying to get a lot of sleep. I went out and bought a pack of cigarettes one night and have only smoked one cigarette so far. I am not a smoker but I really felt like it was either that or drink when I bought them. The only thing keeping me from smoking is not wanting anyone to smell it on me. My husband knows I have them and wishes I would get rid of them.

There are way more positives than negatives though!

I feel very clear headed and actually smarter. It seems like I am seeing things more clearly than ever in my life! An instructor at the gym said I look different/good. My relationship with my husband has been less hot and cold on my end.

I am thankful for this group and the ability to stay strong!

3 Likes

So glad you’re here!!! My daughter is my main motivation too.i know we have to do it for ourselves too… But a mother’s love is sooooo strong.

1 Like

congrats on your sober days, if you think your smart now you’ll be a bloody genius in six months :wink:Seriously though your doing amazing. Keep up the good work :+1:

1 Like