Check in / Sobriety Tools

Day 2
Hi! New here! After many attempts at sobriety, I am finally starting to find some new “tools” to help on this journey. This app being one of them. I also discovered that I have no desire to drink after eating. So I try to make sure to eat dinner by 6 to avoid the temptation. Curious, what tools does everyone have in their tool box to help?

6 Likes

Welcome @LizzyFizzySoda! :wave:

Personally for my toolbox I use HALT a lot:
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

If I am feeling any of those things, that is a red flag, and I need to take care of it so it doesn’t throw me off balance.

You can learn more - and share your own experiences - in the checkin thread here:

Welcome to Talking Sober!

5 Likes

Therapy and AA

2 Likes

Welcome to the community and a huge congrats on your sober days :clap:t4::clap:t4:

A few things that helped me in the early days…

*Changing up routines is great. We have to work on rewiring our minds.
*Keeping yourself busy so you don’t have time to deal with urges is great like play games, book, clean, exercise, puzzles, knitting, walking …etc.
*Stay hydrated - need to flush out the toxins from your system

  • Sleep when you can. You will feel super tired while your body works hard to detox
    *Stay connected. . community is key in our journey so we don’t feel alone. This community was my safe haven. AA or other recovery groups are also helpful. Getting a sponsor may be useful to stay accountable

Just a few to help you get started. Read around. Many great threads here with loads of tips and advice.

1 Like

“this too will pass” it can be powerful. Whatever you’re feeling, it will pass. Recognize it, accept it, work your way out of it. Reaching for a bottle won’t help it.
Find an exit strategy that works. Go for a walk, eat, sleep. Whatever works!

2 Likes

Tools. Need tools. Is there anyone here that has a few tricks or methods or anything to get thru the “thinking I can have a few” times…

1 Like

Welcome :pray:

I go to AA meetings to share about my experiences, engage with others and speak about my feelings

2 Likes

I want to start up therapy again

2 Likes