Diary of a Drinky Kid

Welcome!

It is a bit unclear to me. Are you decided to stop drinking for good?

1 Like

Yes, no good can come from the mix of me and alcohol, I went 2 years sober when I was sneaking alcohol like a 13 year old that found his dads stash, thought I could moderate myself so started drinking again socially then spiralled massively last year. I’ve been sober for most of this year but have had a few slips on the way, even though it has only been a drink on 1 or 2 days then nothing for days weeks and even months I know I can’t afford to keep slipping and the next drink might be the one that takes be past the point of no return.
I scare myself with the things I do when I drink so I must stop for good before the drink stops me dead!

6 Likes

I can definitely relate with a lot of your story man.

For me I needed a program of growth and accountability, today I am one year sober.

7 Likes

That is awesome news, I hope and pray one year turns into one year one day and so on and so forth. You got there one day at a time and need to keep yourself focussed on that one day at a time. It’s how I got to 2 years before convincing myself I wasn’t an alcoholic I was just drinking at wrong times. Now I know how wrong I was.

My growth programme is getting back to the gym, getting back into my MMA competing (even as a veteran) it gives me something better than a bottle to focus on, I’ve had many fights in my life (competitively) but this one keeps kicking my ass, however it will never, ever keep me down and I will win eventually!

Never sought support or help before so this was perhaps my first step on the road to success!

4 Likes

Stick around.

2 Likes

Welcome Richard.
I’m glad I found your story. This is a great sober community to get and give support.
2 good threads I like to read.

My son has a dual diagnosis. And he’s got 6 or 7 years clean and sober now. He stays on his meds now. Goes to meetings and is living a really good life. He’s has a wonderful wife and a nice home. He’s learned the hard way. If he stays on his meds and doesn’t drink and keeps up his therapy. He can live a really good life.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Hi,

Firstly thank you for the links, I’ll be certain to check in on them, I came here to receive support but also to offer hope, support and encouragement to anyone who needs it. Despite all my flaws I see myself as a positive person and will always offer my help.

With regards to your son and his story I can only say wow, staying clean and sober that long must have taken a lot out of him, His wife and you as his family. The fact that you are here and clearly offering support suggests to me that you have unwavering love and support for him and obvious pride in his success, which you so rightly share. It is inspiring to know others in my position have not succumbed to this beast! If there is ever any words of advice etc you can offer I will gratefully accept them and share them. If you ever need an independent someone to give an honest opinion / answer about something in relation to the mental health issues or ASD diagnosis an that I can offer an insight into please don’t hesitate to ask!

Send my best wishes to your son, I hope he has a long, happy and healthy life, he’s earned it! :heart: :muscle:t3:

3 Likes

Lovin your vibe and attitude please stick around bc I think you’ve got a lot to offer the community and even more to gain. BTW in case your in any doubt yes you are an alcoholic.The good news is once we know what illness we have we can start to work on the solution.

4 Likes

How are you today? :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:🙋🙋

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you. I appreciate the honest response to my own question. Honestly, I know I’m an alcoholic, an unhealthy relationship with alcohol regardless of how much, when and where it is consumed is a problem. I’m certainly not going to get anywhere by lying to myself.

I’m glad my positivity is showing, I am a firm believer in things can always be better. My motto is “The grass is always greener where you water it” so I’m watering my grass and hoping to offer water to others too!

2 Likes

I’m good thank you, woke up after a good nights sleep feeling refreshed. I’d be better if I could have stayed warm in bed but unfortunately work pay me to turn up so out in 0 degree weather it is!

Had a bit of a mental battle yesterday after work, I would normally go to a shop and buy a bottle of vodka or something when I’m struggling, decided to bypass the shop though and enjoyed sober family time.

Battle won, war still ongoing!!

How about you?

1 Like

9 days in and its not the easiest, but as a father myself our children deserve the best versions of us, not the drunk p**seed up ones

3 Likes

First off, Well done! The days seem longer at the minute so can imagine the last 9 have felt like an eternity to you.

I’m under no illusions that this is going to be a huge struggle but as you say our children deserve to see the best of us, they didn’t choose us and we have to be the role models for them, they will follow our actions not our words and I certainly don’t want them to destroy themselves as clearly you don’t either!

Here for support if you ever need it! Keep smashing it!

1 Like

Much appreciated, I know what you meant when you said get a sneaky one after the school run, it’s not a good look really. But on the plus side we need to remember we have a lot of good and great things to focus on, so yeah I’ve surprised myself 9 days in nearly on the 10day milestone. I just need to be more wise about the company I keep and don’t beat myself up to much, all we can do is try.

Thanks for the message mate :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely, its not a good look at all, yet somehow I never noticed how bad it looked until I really opened my eyes to my own problem.

The company you keep is always going to be a massive factor. Surrounding yourself with positive supportive people like I have found here is really helping me.

Children are walking talking reasons to remain focussed on the task ahead, dont put too much pressure on yourself like you say all you can do is try your best.

:facepunch:t3:

1 Like

Cheers mate, need to get on the graft now so have a good day, and if I feel like slipping don’t worry you’ll be hearing from me.

All the best mate.

Take care

Thank you.
Yes I’m proud of both my kids for beating their addictions. Now it’s my turn.
I’m glad your here.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll beat your addictions, your children didn’t get their fighting spirit and will to succeed from nowhere!

Always happy to be of assistance where I can! :heart: :pray:t3::+1:t3::facepunch:t3::muscle:t3:

1 Like

Ah nice one. Yes I used to have an old routine of driving home and stopping at the shop … it was hard at first like a silent tug o war!.. but i just had sobriety as the first thing to focus on and jumped in any online meetings or this app to push forwards. A good chilled day today for me. “Owning my shit” as my sponsor put it!.. Getting over a tantrum that lasted nearly 2 days…:laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Any excuse to be going somewhere just to get to the shop, grab a 1/4 mix it with coke knock it back go home. None the wiser, till I needed the other one then the other one. Its just a bad cycle. You learn to be a good liar aswell, plus it doesn’t help the pocket.

1 drink is just not sufficient , so when I feel like a drink I try to remember that and so far so good 10 days in. Haven’t seen my drinking buddies and not looking forwards to it. For some strange reason I feel like I’d be letting them down by not sitting and drinking with them. Best to avoid now till I’m in a stronger place.

Sorry for waffling guys, early morning thoughts lol

Another day and another chance to keep focussed amd heal.

4 Likes