First time on the board but not my first attempt at sobriety

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for the community. I’ve been lurking for a few days now. I’m only 6 days sober now. I never really felt I had a big problem, I would just drink pretty much every day as a habit. Every time I’ve tried to get sober, I began to realize just how much my drinking was affecting my body and mind but then I tell myself that I can go back to just a drink on special occasions… Then I find an excuse for why everything is a special occasion and immediately go back to drinking daily again. I’m tired of having to use alcohol as a crutch. The past few days have made me realize just how dependent I had become. I have been waking up exhausted, tired all day and had a headache for the past 2 or 3. Last night I woke up covered in sweat. Im assuming this is just my body purging the alcohol but it really makes me realize that I do have an issue. I’m really looking forward to the continued sobriety this time. I hope everyone the best going forward and thank you for reading.

5 Likes

Hi and welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
Congratulations on 6 days your doing really well.
This is such a great supportive community and its great to have you with us

3 Likes

Thank you. Honestly, I think just putting it in writing that I have a problem is a “sobering” experience. I’ve always just told myself that drinking everyday is normal and that I can quit anytime I want. The normal stuff I’m sure. Haha. Anyways, glad to be here. Can’t wait to see what sober life has in store.

2 Likes

The checking in daily thread is a good one to take a read and participate in, so many people use that thread and the support for eachother is just amazing.

2 Likes

Congrats on your six days. Changing the daily routine in the beginning is hard. It was for me anyway. Stay strong.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very strange. I feel like I’m forgetting to do something every evening. Lol. I’m sure this will pass with time. Thank you for the reply and the support.

I had to make little things to look forward to each night or a couple of times a week.
A nice meal and a film, visit family, relaxing bath. My brain felt like it always needed something to be going on no natter how small as long as i looked forward to it.
Maybe this could help you too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Stay sober no matter what. I believe in you

1 Like

Thank you. This means more than you may know.