New here. I don't know what to do

Hello. I am new here. I’m so nervous. I have 3 days. I’m scared of my thoughts. Today has been filled with panic type of feelings all day. I feel lost. Im afraid to even mive around my house. If i just lay on bed I can cry through the breakdowns but they are relentless. I feel like I’m going crazy.

18 Likes

Welcome Mar! Congratulations on your 3 days and for making the decision to get sober. It takes a lot of strength to get sober and to come here. Be proud of yourself. Lots of loving support and great advice here. I hope yo see you around.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Mar. you are not alone, this community has a lot to offer. So read around, see what resonates. TS has made a huge difference for me in my journey. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you!

You are not alone I will be waking up tomorrow to day 3. It’s a struggle but it can be done

4 Likes

Best and most sincere wishes for you to conquer this as well. :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Mar and a huge congrats to you for your 3 days! I know the beginning days are super terrifying and exhausting. I did spend a lot of time sleeping and playing on my phone on mindless games i had downloaded just to keep myself busy. Hang tight love - it does get easier.

For me keeping busy was essential - i did try to get out and walk in fresh air when possible. You are not alone in this my friend - take some time to read around the threads. Reading other peoples stories really helped me out and let me know that i was not alone in my journey.

One of my favorite threads is Checking in daily to maintain focus #60

4 Likes

I’m terrified of my own thoughts. They are relentless.

3 Likes

Thank you for your words!

2 Likes

oh love - i a sorry! sending you comfort and peaceful vibes. I know how hard it is to finally have to face the thoughts / feelings and emotions that we buried with our addiction.

Do you have someone in real life to talk to - a therapist, a friend, a counsellor? I would right down my thoughts - having them on paper made it easier to see them and deal with them and some lost their power over me when they were visual (if that makes sense).

For me meditation helped me find a calm space and quiet the mind. Maybe the meditation thread will be helpful for you-Meditation and Serenity

Make sure to be gentle with yourself. Your body and mind are going through a lot right now. It is ok to feel all the feelings, to sleep / rest as your body needs it.

3 Likes

I’m glad you found the site so that you can post and get replies that could be helpful. Welcome to the community.

1 Like

I feel ya. Today is day 1 for me. This is my very first post here. We can do this! :fist_right::boom:

6 Likes

Welcome Cheryl. Love the dogs :heart:
Welcome Mar.
Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
Keep an open mind.
Here are two good threads to start:

5 Likes

Thank you, Eric. I saw your pic of the kitty cat and it inspired me to add a pic of my pups :grin:
Thank you for the tips.

4 Likes

Welcome. :smiling_face:
I remember being scared too, scared to be alone in case thoughts got the better of me. Feelings can be all over the place in the early days. Could you take a bath? Make and eat a soothing meal?

3 Likes

Making myself get out of bed feels impossible. I know I need to shower. I’m almost scared to do that. I know it might make me feel a little better and in that I might get dressed. If I get dressed I’ll think I can take a walk. What if my feet walk me right towards that store? Or I need to go grocery shopping but I’m scared to drive because that’ll get me to the liquor store and back even faster. Sorry. See the thoughts just are all over the place. I’m shaking and I just wish I could sleep myself into sobriety.

2 Likes

Morning Mar.
you know gratitude can have a big impact on our brains. Our brains cannot handle both anxiety and gratitude at the same time. That’s why I start every day on the gratitude thread right here.

I haven’t gotten on there yet this morning but every morning I start my day right here. I have so much to be grateful for when I’m sober.
What have you got to be grateful for?
You found this app.
You got a car right?
You got a roof over your head?

Whether I’m reading the gratitude thread, which I do every day because us people that are grateful in recovery have a lot in common, The Gratitudes. Great bunch of people over here. Or whether I’m posting my gratitude, it’s my most powerful tool. It’s one little tool I use to exercise my brain every day.
And once again today, I’m grateful I woke up hangover free and sober. That never gets old.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Good morning Mar
Those are real fears and can make your mind go on a racing frenzy. Do what you can. Take a shower if you are ready. If you go for a walk - do so without your wallet so you will not be able to go to the store. For the longest time, i had to shop at the local coop’s so that i wouldn’t have alcohol available to me (not sure if this is an option for you).

Just take it one step at a time and give yourself grace. Your body is going through a lot of changes physically, emotionally and mentally.

Like Eric mentioned, Gratitude really helps with re-training the mind and also releasing some of the happy senses. If you have a moment, check out the gratitude thread. :pray:

Sending you much love and strength today. :hugs:

3 Likes

Putting God first Praying the serenity prayer and talking to my sponsor and make sure that my thoughts on my recovery. Building a program and following into the best of my ability. When I speak about the thoughts in my head that are unhealthy takes away the power. When I speak and express and share the ideas that I have gives them power and I become more confident in the choices that I make

1 Like