I'm new here I'm on day 18 sober

Hi I’m Hannah 36yo i have drank since the legal age of 18 (uk) i have binged at most opportunities and usually to get blackout drunk. My dad who passed away 5 years ago was an alcoholic and i saw first hand how it truly gripped him. I’m here to say I’m an alcoholic and this year i will be sober. I have often visited this forum I’d love to chat and keep my sobriety going through here.

26 Likes

Welcome! I am also from the UK (live abroad now). I was also a black out drinker, I’m 6 years older than you, and when I was younger it was like “if you don’t remember coming home then it was a good night, ha ha”. But all of my friends grew out of it and I stayed wanting to keep getting ‘properly’ drunk, so would do it at home in secret. I’m sorry to hear about your dad. It is truly scary to feel you are following the same path when you know how destructive it can be. But you are recognising it and putting the brakes on before it is too late. I hope we (the forum) can continue to support each other.

13 Likes

Welcome Hannah! I’m glad you’re here and you’re ready to walk a different path than your dad. I’m here doing the same. Hugs! :heart:

2 Likes

Hello Hannah, welcome to the family :blush:

I live in the UK as well, there is actually quite a strong representation from the UK in this forum. I hope you feel at home here. Read around, ask questions, take part and engage. Sobriety is liberating, you are on the right path.

I hope to see you around and get to know you better :heartpulse:
:squid:

3 Likes

Meetings will help aswell ,helped me stay sober wish you well

3 Likes

Hi Hannah and welcome here,
Well done for the 18 days. What has helped me a lot with my recovery was checking in sober every day. It kept myself acountable and focussed.
Feel free to join in:

And if you are a bit like me you have hunger for information :smiling_face: And this app is filled with it.
Use the magnifying glass above to find older interesting treads of every subject your interested in.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

See you around! :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Hi Hannah! Congrats on your choice and your days :slightly_smiling_face: This app has helped me so much, you came to the right place for support.

2 Likes

Hi Hannah and welcome. Happy sober 2024. One day at a time is all I can focus on right now, this current 24 hours of sobriety is of utmost to me. Hope to see you here with us a lot this year.

-Solar

2 Likes

Hello and congratulations :sparkler: you have nade the most important step - you took the decision to stop :slight_smile: keep going and never give up :pray:

2 Likes

It’s day 20 today :grin: sober and feeling pretty great.

3 Likes

Welcome Hannah I’m glad to hear that your sober and want to stay sober I’m sorry to hear about your dad I have no clue where I’d be without mine I’m really proud of you for taking these steps into sobriety I hope we [the forum] can continue to help you walk your path in sobriety

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Seizetheday . I’m UK based too. Lots of lovely people and great discussions to read through! Hope to see you around on here :blush:
:heart::v:

2 Likes

Welcome Hannah! Congrats on your now 20 days! That’s marvelous. I am glad you checked in again and hope to see you continuing to do so.

@SoberWalker suggested the daily check in thread already, it’s a great place to post daily or as often as you would like and share with others. You will have a large group of folks to get support from there. Keep going, you’re doing great!

2 Likes