I'm on Day 1 and terrified of relapse

Hello. I’m on day one again. Quit for a year before and absolutely loved my life. And now I actually can’t believe I’m spiralling downwards again. I want to not depend on alcohol. I just want to live. Would love some help and support!

31 Likes

Checking in here each day is a hood start. Reach out for support before relapsing as needed.

9 Likes

Welcome Eva!
It’s time to pull out all those tools that got you through that year and find others to add to you toolbox. For me, that obsession was lifted after some time working the AA program.

8 Likes

The fact that you had success for 1 year shows you can do it. Its ok to sleep alot in the early sobriety. Remember to eat! Walk. Meetings? You can do it…one day at a time.

7 Likes

Thanks Lisa. AA wasn’t really for me. I did manage to quit before using networks such as these. And I come from a heavy drinking family. So that makes it hard. Thank u for being here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Mark, yes I intend to slowww my whole life down. My main trigger is coping with a lot of stuff going on and my need to accomplish things quickly and efficiently. So I think I need to slow down.

6 Likes

They say the devil is in the drink

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

3 Likes

I’m on day 2.

5 Likes

My family are all problem drinkers.

I am next one in line. In fact, Ive been lined up for ages and been skipping the que. :rofl:.

2 Likes

Glad you’re here, Eva. If I could go back & sit down with me on day 1 I’d ask him to simply not let fear rule his feelings and emotions, his desires to feel free again or push down his happiness.

So, don’t worry about relapsing and focus on the good again. Don’t worry about the past, isn’t shit you can do about it. Don’t be dishonest to yourself or others. Don’t miss the chance to help another person who is struggling. Don’t be afraid to own this disease as there’s a lot of us who are like you and simply wanna live!

Hugs to ya on this beautiful day1!

6 Likes

Glad you’re here! I too have had a year under my belt before but I was still under the influence of the idea I could control my habits. Several more cycles of quitting for long stretches and coming back and reaching the same point led me to realize I had to choose one way or the other. The best advice to me that I got from this community is probably the simplest….one day at a time. It’s so easy to get lost in the idea and be fearful of the days ahead. But, all we truly have is today and each day is a choice, sobriety or not. The great thing is you’ve lived sober for a year so you know how great sober life can be! I hit 103 days today and I got here one day at a time but the thing is day one was just as special as day 103! They’re each special because I chose sobriety with my whole heart in all of them and they’re all a treasure to me. That’s how I look at my sober days, a treasure I am building for me and my family and everyone around me that loves me for who I am not for my drinking addiction. Build yourself a treasure :heart:

5 Likes

The most important things already have been said and I agree to all of them.
Try to focus on the current day, not on tomorrow.
I come here almost daily, that helps a lot. If you have to Check in every hour, do it. As long as it helps you. Talk about everything that bothers you, there is nothing wrong in doing this.
You’ve done it before and you can do it again :muscle:

4 Likes

Care to journey with me?

Thank u all. Really overwhelmed with relief and gratitude that so many of u have responded with such encouragement. I didn’t think anyone would!

7 Likes

We’re in this together Eva, and that realization, and that fact happening right here has made the difference for me between failure in the past and success now. Very glad to have you aboard as the more the stronger we are. Welcome to Talking Sober, wishing you all success!

3 Likes

Nah I’m a day ahead of you, I’ll always be looking down at you like … Meh only 6 days … I’m on 7 days. Peasant. :rofl: just kidding.

What are you planning on doing to stay sober?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Eva!!
Lean on the supports you used when you got sober for those 12 months. Maybe make notes on all the positives sobriety brought you and use them as reminders when you feel tempted to pick up.
You’ve done it before, you CAN do it again!
Checking in daily on the below thread really helped me with accountability, you may find it useful aswell :slightly_smiling_face:

@RobZombie :notes: guess who’s back… Mick is back… :notes: good to see you here!

2 Likes

Hello yeh I’m gonna give it a crack.

1 Like

Such a good song…

1 Like