Why I'm here

getting sober is amazing… but the order I’ve done it is important and will let me have a beautiful long life sadly unlike my parents

I got into to drugs at a very young age around 15. I smoked cannabis every day for 3 years strait and then the heavy drinking hit when I was around 17. even before that I was always addicted to something… sex, video games, severe anorexia & bulimia. you name it! I’ve been a mess.

my mom had an anxiety attack right after I was born then spiraled into deep depression. I’ve never known true motherly love…

anyway back to my point I’m not trying to be a pity party, just piecing together my traumas. my parents are both alcoholics. my dad is more severe tho he drinks maybe 20 units a day… he’s killing himself before my eyes and he’s completely lost his personality and I think maybe his life soon. he goes to meetings but they’ve only seemed to make him drink more. his father lost his life to alcohol…

I WILL NOT have the same fate

I will not let this happen to me. I will not abuse my children the same way I was abused. I got in a car accident while my parents were high or drunk when I was a kid, ever since then I have swore to myself I will never let my children suffer the same way I did.

so that’s why I’m here.

22 Likes

p.s. my username is a symbol of broken bottles (breaking away from drinking) that is cast into the ocean and made into something beautiful :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome :blush::blush: it’s nice to have you here. :heart: Looking forward to seeing you around.

I love this promise you have made to yourself for your children! :heart:

3 Likes

thank you for the welcome! I’ll be around for sure, this seems like a very safe place to be for my recovery

3 Likes

This is a good place to check in. A lot (if not most ) of us check in here daily with each other if we have good (or bad) things to say about our day. Everyone here has been incredibly supportive to me, and I’m sure they will be for you too.

It’s a little after midnight where I am, so I’m heading to bed. Hope you have a good night (or day)

Sending :heart: your way

5 Likes

So glad you’re here, and here, is a helluva better place than out there.

Why I’m here… I’m an alcoholic- but a simple one.

Recommendation: Find what works to keep you focused on not using/drinking, and do that work every day. Even if it’s small steps. It all adds up to being happy, joyous and free!

7 Likes

Welcome @seaglass :tulip::four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Welcome @seaglass :wave:t2: :innocent:

It sounds like you know what you want. That’s a good thing. Most people don’t really know what they want, so they drift aimlessly through their life, physically present, but absent in mind and in spirit.

If you know what you want, you can move purposefully, one day at a time, to get it.

You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome to the community :innocent:

4 Likes

How are you doing today @seaglass I hope good :blush:

3 Likes

You certainly seem to have the impetus to see this through. You don’t have to suffer the same fate as your parents. Stick to it do what you must to maintain your sobriety. We are here for you Seaglass.

3 Likes

I’m glad you are here♥️

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the community, thank you for sharing this with us :hugs:

2 Likes

Welcome! You are in the right place. I love the symbolism of the sea glass.

1 Like

My dad is an alcoholic and even after suffering multiple strokes he won’t stop and he never will. Its a really hard thing to accept. The one time I had courage to bring up AA asking if he’d ever go with me when I was thinking about it he had a strong response basically saying “f*** no” He’s already not healthy from what he’s been through, I hate to watch him put more damage into his body. I have struggled since a young age as well, I know how hard it is to piece together your trauma in order to heal. Our psyche was protecting us from so much. I wish you well on your healing journey.

2 Likes

okay today, work was a bit boring but I’m working on a better career so thats’s what matters.

how are you today?

1 Like

I’m here for you if you ever need to vent! It’s not an easy thing to go through, even sober

1 Like

yes I’ve come to love small steps. like there’s a giant block of bad coping mechanisms around my soul and I’m chipping away at them one by one. some bigger or smaller than others but every chip off the block is important!

1 Like

I’m just starting s new day. Saturday morning at a coffee shop. Should be fun :blush: hope yours goes well too

2 Likes