1st day- new here!

This is my first day of my sober journey. I want to be sober so badly but it’s been quite a long time of me being a very heavy drinker. I’m so worried about these first few days and just getting through physically/mentally. Can anyone help with getting connected with a sponsor? I don’t have anyone close to me to rely on. Please, any help is appreciated.

12 Likes

Hey again Lauren :wave:
About finding a sponsor

:pray:t2::evergreen_tree::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Lauren, welcome to the party! The first few days are going to be rough, but until you find a sponsor, there’s always someone here you can talk to. Don’t be shy! :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you! I am lucky to have the next 5 days off of work. I’ve heard that after day 5 your withdrawals get better. Any tips on getting through this physically? That is honestly what I’m most terrified of.

1 Like

We don’t know you (yet) Lauren. We don’t know your physical or mental condition, the amount you drank, how you were taking care of yourself foodwise, if you have vitamin or other nutrient deficiencies maybe, if you have support from other people. We’re just a group of addicts on the internet trying to help each other.

My only real advice therefore is to talk to a MD. They can tell you what to do. if deemed necessary by them they can subscribe medication to help ease the withdrawal symptoms and replenish possible deficiencies. All I can say from here is to take it very easy, eat well but surely don’t overeat if you were eating bad before and drink plenty of fluids. But talking to a Doctor is my first and most important advise. Wishing you all success. And welcome to the forum of course, I’m really happy to have you aboard!

2 Likes

Thank you for the response! I completely understand and I will do that asap. Just wanting that support from people who have been through it. I think TS is going to be a great place to be!

2 Likes

here’s what works for me: drink lots of water. make yourself eat even though you won’t have any appetite. sleep when your body tells you to. Prepare yourself mentally for the fact that there is no way through this but to tough it out. 5 days will probably be enough for the worst of it, but you may not be out of the woods yet. All depends on what you drank, and your own body chemistry.
Best of luck, and stay in touch!

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, the fist week and weekend were the toughest for me but i took it just one day at a time. Drink plenty of water. Rest. Shower. Journal.

2 Likes

Trust me, you can do this. I was sick for a few days when I quit- water and hot tea with honey were my best friends. If you do have DTs or seize- or if you just think you need it- seek medical attention- they can help you detox. Antihistamines helped me sleep, but it’s different for everyone.
We look forward to hearing about your day 2.

2 Likes

Welcome!! I would also recommend finding a meeting. So easy now with zoom. There’s multiple meetings every hour of every day. 24/7.
Good luck on your journey. We are here if you need us!! :pray::grin::heart:

1 Like

Day 3- well day 3 is here with a lot of emotions but it is a great day. Day 2 was spent changing my surroundings and a lot of panic attacks. The Dr checked me out and assured me I will be fine as long as I deal with the anxiety and depression I have let into my life because of alcohol. I can’t believe the emotional toll I’ve put on myself and my family because this addiction I’ve fed. It is so not worth it.
I woke up today grateful that I am having no withdrawal symptoms, but the thought came crashing in that I don’t deserve that. I deserve to be in some sort of physical pain after what I’ve put my body through. I guess I’m grateful that I want absolutely nothing to do with that old life ever again. Looking forward to the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey Lauren. Congratulations on day 3. Great job.
There’s a really good thread call the daily check in.
Lots of great people checking in daily to be accountable.

Come check us out if you’re interested.
Glad to see you’re still with us.
:pray:t2::evergreen_tree::orange_heart:

1 Like

Hi there, you are in the right place for help. I’m 26 days sober, and I’m still having moments of depression and anxiety, but the number 1 thing is to stay sober. We are all in this together, you’re never alone!

6 Likes

Well done on day 3! A sober future just feels brighter. :heart:

1 Like