Hi! I’m new here

Hi!
I am new and fresh to the sobriety community. I have tried a few other times to get sober, but the last time I tried was a year ago and made it almost 2 weeks before I started drinking seltzers and then wine and then a 1.5 liter bottle of a wine everyday. I convinced myself that it was ok and better than what I was doing a year ago which was finishing a handle of whiskey every 3 days. At the last time I tried sobriety I was just diagnosed bi-polar and was just beginning meds (which is why I think I was able to kick the whiskey). The shakes stopped and my depression and mood in general improved so drastically that I was ok to stay where I was at. I kept saying that it wasn’t as bad as what I was doing before… My husband was also sober at the time, but I started up drinking again and eventually I feel I compromised his sobriety and he began to start drinking again back in December. :disappointed:
Fast forward to this past Sunday, I drank my “normal” amount of wine while my husband drank the entire day. We ended up getting into a dispute where he was trying to remove our youngest from his room after I had laid him down and this made me feel uncomfortable with how intoxicated he was. Eventually he attacked me and I had to call the police. He has never done anything like that before and it was very very scary. We have not been in contact since due to a military protective order, but that was such an eye opening experience for me and I not only just want to get better… I NEED to get better. Going on a full 5 days at 8:00 tonight that I have not had a drop of alcohol. I’m feeling some anxiety today, somewhat because of my current situation and trying to figure out the next steps forward with or without my husband, but also because I haven’t drank in almost a full 5 days and I know my brain is trying to figure out what is going on.
Anyway, just thought if I was going to actually do it I would do it right and introduce myself and admit to something that I have hidden for years! Thanks for reading if you did!

22 Likes

Welcome Sara.
I’m sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here. But so glad you found us. This is a great sober community and actively participating on this forum has been key to my sobriety.

Congratulations on your 5 days. That’s some great work you put in to get yourself here. Have a good read around. Here’s a couple of threads if you like.

We don’t have the power to make anyone drink. Just like no one has the power to keep us from drinking. If someone wants to drink that is :100: their/our decision.

My son is bipolar. He is coming up on 11 years sober. Once he quit drinking and stayed on his meds he got his life back and is now a wonderful sober father. He still stays in touch with his therapist and psychiatrist for med checks. But he’s pretty much leading a normal life and I have a gorgeous granddaughter now.

Have a good read around. Join in when you’re willing. There are lots for kind friendly people here just trying to not pic up that first drink or drug of choice. If you got any questions just ask. We were all new once.
Hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

9 Likes

Welcome!!! You have joined a wonderful community. I am learning so much about how alcohol made my already horrible anxiety even worse over the years. Sending lots of strength, you can do this!! :people_hugging:

5 Likes

Thank you for the links! I’m going to check those out for sure! I do take my meds everyday, it has helped in many ways but quitting drinking is the ultimate step I need to take to take! I’m glad to hear about your son! Definitely gives me hope!! :blush:

7 Likes

My pleasure :innocent:

He still goes to AA meetings. Not as often as he’d like being a dad of a 22 month old. But he has his regular am meeting on line.

I have so much to be grateful for now that I’m sober. I’ve actually retrained my brain. It’s a powerful tool. Reading it. Actively writing it every day. Practice it to stay in the moment. It’s my home thread on here. I almost never miss a day on it. @Davina_Davis is a regular on there too. I think we got room for some more gratitude if you’re interested. The lights are always on. It’s a great way to ease yourself into the community.

7 Likes

Welcome Sara! :wave: Lots of good folks here with lots of stories, some like yours, and you are not alone. :innocent: Make yourself at home here. There’s lots of interesting threads and a great community :+1:

5 Likes

Hi Sara and welcome here,
Your current situations sounds like a lot to handle so you better do it sober :wink: Hope you will find your way in becoming the best version of you and the best mom you can be, a sober one. Glad you have found us here.
I’m addicted to alcohol and mom of 3 who are very glad I quit drinking. My life is so much better now, I wish you the same.
You already have had some threads to read and I would like to add two myself.
What's YOUR plan? The first one explaines the need of a plan as well the stages if recovery. The last one is the thread I made at my 2 year sober milestone and maybe give you some practical tips too:
2 years sober and what helped me to get there: I’m still sober since september 2018.
So again welcome Sara, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

See you around!
Claudia :raising_hand_woman:

5 Likes

Hey Sara, welcome to the community. As you can probably see for yourself, there’s a ton of support here, and alot of people who have gone through similar situations. Congratulations on five days sober. Reach out on here if you need anything. :v::green_heart:

3 Likes

Hey Sara, tough situation but congrats on facing it sober and realizing that is the way forward.
Great site and peeps here and tons of support if you want.

Wishing you all the best and a huge welcome to club TS!

2 Likes